Monday, April 28, 2008

More reviews. :P

I'm back. For more reviews :P and some updates too.and a tag. so there's 3 posts in a day(woohoo?)


The Water Horse

I've been wanting to catch this movie..finally managed to watch it. well,straight to the point- its okay. Not too bad but nothing new or fantastic either.its just..mediocre. BUT...the water horse is damn cute when its still a baby.reallyy cute! thank goodness for CGIs eh? lol. anyway,the plot is well..obviously,very predictable and cliche but hey,cant really expect much from this kinda movie also mah. In a nutshell, its a very typical family drama lah..and i have to mention that Ben Chaplin is SUCH a Antonio Banderas lookalike!Like his twin or stg only. To watch or not to watch? if u like movies like Free willy,then yeah. If u cant stand cute CGI creatures and screaming boys,no. :P

Rating: 6/10

Brokeback Mountain

AHA! Never thought i'll watch THIS movie right!? HAHA.
Brokeback Mountain. I downloaded this movie out of pure curiosity. I mean its such a well known movie and it has gained critical acclaims and won awards etc but like most people who've never watched it yet,ive never known anythg more about it than just 2 gay cowboys falling in love. Hmm. Well I was certainly suprised by this movie. (in both a good and bad sense) but thankfully, I was more pleasantly suprised. The show takes its time to unfold the story..it doesn't rush(some might find it draggy/boring) which was fine by me. The cinematography is..stunning.seriously. The (many) sceneries in the movie are just wow! But what I was really blown away by was the performances.
Heath ledger and jake gyllenhaal are..superb.perfect for their roles.Esp heath ledger.He BECAME his character. And they have really good chemistry too(which is very important for obvious reasons.I still wonder how much they got paid for this movie.). Even the female characters played by anne hathaway and michelle williams are fantastic. The funny or really weird thing is..I was actually touched by this movie.towards the end,i actually teared. (eventhough i already predicted what was going to happen) Another thing i love is that the movie is full of symbolism.and unless you really observe carefully or do some research,you probably wont notice them..and i guess the reason why this story touched many many people(from what i read at imdb.com) its because of the way its told. Its very raw,very genuine..and i really cant help but agree with that. Ang lee did an amazing job of telling a touching love story in a very different way. Not everyone who watch this show may know how to appreciate it..but some who can perhaps look deeper and see beyond the surface and into the heart of the story may appreciate it. I'm in that 2nd category.Not to say that I agree with homosexuality after watching it,i still don't.But..lets just say i've learned to look at it in a different way than before. And for a film like this to be able to get me thinking long and deep abt it (and not to mention,the length of this review) is something worth mentioning.
Though,i have to warn that it is not for the faint hearted or those who gross out easily(referring to some *cough* scenes between the 2 leads) lol.
But overall, it is a very well made movie.
Heath ledger..sigh. this guy really had talent alright.too bad we wont be seeing any more of his works in future.

Rating:8.5/10

1 comment:

Linda said...

I agree with you all the way. I thought it was a very beautifully told story. I, also do not believe in this way of life, but I also do not put anyone down who does. I do not look at anyone for their preferences,anything about a person. I like a person for them and not what they do, the color of their skin, or any thing whatsoever. I loved this movie and I am not a young person (65 to tell the truth).

I also am saddened to not see Heath any longer. He is one of my favorite actors and I own all of his work that is out so far from ROAR to Candy. I thought all his movies were not exceptional but he never failed to play an exceptional part. I will miss him.

Linda